|Wednesday, May 6, 2020 – THE CULTURE BUZZ – 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM Central Time
Broadcast regionally on KFMG 98.9 FM; Streaming globally through www.kfmg.org
Please note that the current Covid-19 pandemic is critically impacting our everyday lives, including our cultural sites and events. There is a myriad of alternative ways to stimulate your creativity and gratitude – explore such options. Respond to your inner muse. Please be safe and wise if you have to venture into public areas. – John Busbee for The Culture Buzz
Quotes of the Week
“Remember there’s no such thing as a small act of kindness. Every act creates a ripple with no logical end.” -Scott Adams, creator of “Dilbert” comic strip
Funding opportunities for self-employed artists:
Update from the Department of Cultural Affairs:
- Art Project Grants (deadline May 1 extended to June 1) are available through the Iowa Arts Council an annual basis in which the funding can be used in part to pay the artist, but must involve the creation and presentation of new work.
- Greenlight Grants (deadline May 1 extended to June 1) are annually available via the Iowa Arts Council and Produce Iowa to support home-grown Iowa film and digital media productions.
- New Music Solidarity Fund Emergency Grants (due April 30) to support freelance artists in the new/creative/improvised music community
- Frequently updated lists of emergency funding opportunities
Isolation Activity Suggestion
The Culture Buzz has a tradition of featuring authors, bringing a diverse range of subjects to your attention. These authors include local, regional and national authors. Now is the time to support Beaverdale Books, as it is your enticing gateway to a rich assortment of books sure to please your reading pleasure. This indie book store has an incredible offering of Iowa authors and children’s literature – take advantage of their staff’s knowledge and discuss options for the best books for you and your children/grandchildren. Beaverdale Books offers curbside service, or delivery service. Do an end-around any online choices and support one of Iowa’s most incredible independent book stores for your reading needs.
Featured Cultural Offerings
CultureALL has a unique and compelling way of valuing the cultures in our community. Right Where We Belong airs Tuesdays at 7 pm with Mollie Cooney. Starting May 5. Each week an extraordinary Central Iowan will speak about their life experiences and their role in making Iowa a more inclusive community. Some will share how the turmoil of leaving war-torn countries affected them as they made their journeys to Iowa. Others will share thought-provoking accounts of why belonging is so important to them. Mollie Cooney, the esteemed KCCI news anchor, is host of this uplifting and informative 30-minute program, taking place via Zoom and aired on Facebook live. Visit the CultureALL page at 7pm on Tuesday’s or use this link. Will you join us? Together, we’ll meet our neighbors who will share their cultures to elevate us all.
Message from Marcia Wanamaker – Board of Directors
“We all desire to belong. During this time of social distancing, now, more than ever, our community needs us. We live in a diverse community, and yet many people are increasingly isolated. Divisiveness brings our community down. It doesn’t have to be that way. We are neighbors, we are colleagues, our children attend school together. In times like this, we are reminded that belonging is ever more important. Diversity should not divide us; it makes us stronger. So, grab a cup of coffee or perhaps a glass of wine, sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.”
Are you missing theater events?
WE ARE EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE….. Ankeny Community Theatre Readers Virtual Theatre!
Join us on Sunday May 17 at 7:30 PM for a live-streamed reading of the one-act drama, Al Takes a Bride by Gary Sunshine, produced and live-streamed with special permission from Playscripts, Inc.
This performance will last about one hour and be offered FREE! Donations are welcome–just click on the Donor Box link below! Even a few dollars can help ACT stay theater alive through this emergency.
Registration is required by May 16 at midnight :
To register and more info, go to ankenycommunitytheatre.com
ACT’s first Readers Virtual Theatre on May 17 will feature Riley Devick, Dagen Peacock, and Brad Church. You won’t want to miss this event!
PERFORMNG & VISUAL ARTS plus Other Cultural Consideration
Please check in advance regarding any scheduled performances, exhibitions, museum visits, etc.
Ankeny Community Theatre –
www.ankenycommunitytheatre.com; Facebook: Ankeny Community Theatre
Carousel Theatre of Indianola –
www.carouseltheatre.org; Faceook: Carousel Theatre Indianola
Class Act Productions –
www.captheatre.org; Facebook: CAPTheatre
Des Moines Community Playhouse/Kate Goldman Theatre –
www.dmplayhouse.com; Facebook: DMPlayhouse
Des Moines Performing Arts/Temple Theater –
www.desmoinesperformingarts.org; Facebook: Des Moines Performing Arts
Des Moines Young Artists’ Theatre –
www.dmyat.org; Facebook: DM Young Artists Theatre
Iowa Shakespeare Experience –
www.iowashakespeare.org; Facebook: Iowa Shakespeare Experience
Iowa Stage Theatre Company –
www.iowastage.org; Facebook: Iowa Stage Theatre Company
Pyramid Theatre Company –
www.pyramidtheatre.org; Facebook: Pyramid Theatre Company
Tallgrass Theatre Company –
www.tallgrasstheatre.org; Facebook: Tallgrass Theatre Company
www.theatremidwest.org; Facebook: TheatreMidwest
Urbandale Community Theatre –
www.urbandaletheatre.com; Facebook: Urbandale Community Theatre
AUDITIONS and Cultural Engagement Opportunities:
Please check in advance regarding any scheduled performances, exhibitions, museum visits, etc.
LIVE MUSIC VIRTUALLY – Greater Des Moines Music Tip:
DSMTv – Check out this new source to connect and support regional musicians during this challenging time for them. This link connects you to upcoming performances, podcasts and current information to keep viewers on the cutting edge of developments for Iowa’s music scene. https://www.facebook.com/dsmtvlive/
From HomeDitty: The irrepressible Katie Byers continues to find ways to connect audiences to great music. Discover how she is doing this through her recent blog, and stay connected for future virtual house concerts:
DES MOINES, IA – Civic Music Association is presenting Get Music, Get Happy Hour, a new series informal at-home live concerts. The series will feature live-stream performances by a variety of artists on Friday evenings at 6:00.
CMA PRESENTS: Get Music, Get Happy Hour
6:00 PM Fridays
Viewers can watch the performances on Civic Music’s Facebook page via Facebook Live.
Subsequent performers include violinist Johnny Gandelsman from Brooklyn Rider, piano soloist Aaron Diehl, and others.
Greater Des Moines Independent Book Store Happenings:
The Culture Buzz shares many authors and their books with its audiences. We encourage you to visit your local independent book store regularly. The folks at these destination locations know books, and welcome the chance to help anyone connect with titles and subjects they seek. Check these sites, as their calendars are always filled with enticing activities and news.
- Beaverdale Books, Des Moines. http://www.beaverdalebooks.com/
- Pageturners Bookstore, Indianola. http://www.pageturnersbookstore.com/
- Artisan Gallery 218, 218-5th Street, Historic Valley Junction, West Des Moines (select author events), http://www.artisangallery218.com/
- Read a Book Nook, Marshalltown. https://read-a-book-nook.business.site/
Cultural Exploration Resources:
The Culture Buzz will begin including carefully vetted but comprehensive listings where you can do some advance online exploration before scheduling destinations in the region. These are two great websites to know about:
- The Culture Buzz – John Busbee and associates have re-launched the website for The Culture Buzz, providing cultural adventurers a comprehensive overview of what The Culture Buzz provides. Included in this new site, by popular demand, is an archive library of favorite interviews and a new section of theatre reviews for Greater Des Moines theatre companies. http://www.TheCultureBuzz.com/
- Center Stage – This Cityview monthly column provides insights into Central Iowa’s theatre. Distributed throughout the region and available online. Current column: http://www.dmcityview.com/center-stage
- Cityview – Central Iowa’s monthly printed and continually updated online resource to all things happening in your community, from arts & culture, to music, to civic and political discourse, to fascinating columnists and stories. Cityview is the reliable source for keeping you informed and engaged in the Greater Des Moines community and beyond. http://www.dmcityview.com/
- Art Beacon Des Moines is Central Iowa’s home for promoting the visual arts. Our calendar of events highlights exhibitions, art talks and calls for art. Subscribe to the Art Beacon Weekly, our online newsletter filled with links to the latest art happenings. Find us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. http://artbeacondesmoines.com/
- A Gentle Guide to Des Moines Theatre is Central Iowa’s source for knowing what productions by which companies are available when. In short, you can know what’s playing before it happens rather than after the fact. Timothy Rose created this site with its comprehensive theatre calendar for you, the cultural consumer. He includes articles and more, making this a worthy destination when curious about what’s happening in Central Iowa’s theatre scene. http://www.gentleguidedsm.com/
- 900Views Podcast. An exploration of arts and community with Host Pat Boddy. Based out of Mainframe Studios in downtown Des Moines, 900Views provides a platform for glimpsing the creative work and lives of the Midwest’s cultural producers and influencers. https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/900views-pat-boddy-RCELj1xc7Wh/
- Greater Des Moines Community Jazz Center is this region’s source for a decades-established advocacy group for jazz, and established jazz professionals guiding and nurturing next generations of jazz musicians and fans. http://dmcommunityjazzcenter.org/
- Central Iowa Blues Society is the area’s connecting point for performance, presentations and education in the world of blues. www.cibs.org
As always, I appreciate news and information from you out there in the cultural trenches and am ready and willing to pursue a story or interview to share with my audiences. ♦