Monday, April 29, 2024

Join our email blast

Guest Commentary

Merry Christmas…

12/6/2023

Twelve drummers drumming…

…for some folks who are stepping down — Frank Cownie, who served 20 years as mayor and now can go back to selling fur coats…and proud East-sider Randy Peterson, after 50-some years writing about sports…Jay Byers, who guided the Partnership and now is the perfect guy to head his alma mater, Simpson College…Bob Pratt, the distinguished federal judge who convinced the U.S. Supreme Court that there’s more to sentencing than formulas…city spokesman Al Setka…and police captain Dave Seybert, a tough guy who knows the difference between mischief and crime…Leisha DeSmet, who is leaving as head of the Y to join the national Y organization…and city engineer and then assistant city manager Pam Cooksey, who was always helpful.

Eleven pipers piping…

…for some who are stepping up: Kelly Baum, new head of the Art Center…Matthew Reed, who now runs the Harkin Institute at Drake… Kim Sheets, winner of a special election to become Warren County auditor (giving the Democrats hope in their otherwise gloomy world)… Jeremy Parsons, the new boss at the Iowa State Fair…Amanda Wanke at DART…Gen. Stephen Osborn, the big boss at the Iowa National Guard… Ian Roberts, the school superintendent in Des Moines (but, really, who would want that job?)…and, of course, mayor-elect Connie Boesen.

Ten lords-a-leaping…

CNA - Stop HIV Iowa

…for Sue Woody and everyone else at the Des Moines Public Library, especially the helpful men and women at the information desk downtown…for Jeffrey and Stephanie Bruner, who are headed to the Netherlands for the climate, or maybe it’s the political climate…for the 200 or so Register alumni who came to a reunion a few weeks ago — especially 85-year-old Jim Risser, who won two Pulitzer Prizes and traveled from Ashland, Oregon, and Geneva Overholser and David Westphal, who once ran the place and now live in New York…for Tom Cullen of Storm Lake, a terrific reporter who keeps learning from his father, Art, and his Uncle John…and, again, Laura Belin, the hardest-working (and maybe the best) reporter in Iowa.

Nine ladies dancing…

…while changing diapers for Eloise Lucile Morse and Sam E. Bernabe, and congratulations to proud grandparents Mike and Cheryl Giudicessi and Sam and Mary Bernabe. They’ll show you pictures…for new neighbors Ron and Mary Pick…and old neighbors (and baseball fans) Mike and Mary Pitcher and Megan Zach and Mike Regan…for Iowa State freshman Henry Allard…the 2,200 new citizens who have been naturalized at Principal Park over the years…dental hygienist Hillary Dorner…and for 1953 state baseball champion Dave Witke of Council Bluffs Thomas Jefferson…

Eight maids-a-milking…

…at the Knapp Center for Coach Darian DeVries and Drake’s men’s basketball team, picked to win the Missouri Valley Conference. Especially Conor Enright, who is so scrappy and fun to watch, and Darnell Brodie, the big guy who now is a graduate student…and Drake’s women’s team, too, picked to finish second (to UNI) but Grace Berg and Katie Dinnebier will show how wrong that prediction is…and for Bill Knapp, now going strong at age 97, for giving the money to build the Knapp Center 30 years ago — and it’s still the best place to watch basketball in the state…for University of Iowa wrestler Spencer Lee, who’s the very best…and for West Des Moines’ Caitlin Clark, the all-everything star at Iowa who is as gracious off the court as she is ferocious on it…and who almost makes you forget about the football team and the Ferentz family dramas…and for Iowa’s Cooper DeJean, who returned a last-minute punt against Minnesota to — wait, never mind.

Seven swans-a-swimming…

…but don’t shoot them, for former anchor Sonya Heitshusen…for retired Justice Dave Wiggins and Marcia, who are fleeing the jurisdiction and moving to Las Vegas…for Kara Shull, physical therapist and nice person, and her uncle, Rob Denson at DMACC……for John Smith at Drake, who shakes the money tree for his alma mater…and for Marilee Mitchell, who likes dogs and, inexplicably, cats, too. And so does Christy Anderson.

Six geese-a-laying…

…for former Iowa legislator David Johnson, who is headed for Nebraska…and Steve Davis at the Iowa Supreme Court…and Judge Steve Colloton…for Ken Quinn, whose stories could fill an encyclopedia…and for whoever oversees the state law library in the Capitol, maybe the neatest space in the whole state.

Five gold rings…

…for Tanner Krause, the Kum and Go boss who stood up for the transgender community and transgender athletes when a lot of other bosses in town were ducking. And for the graceful way he handled his father’s sale of the company — a fact that he, as chief executive, apparently wasn’t clued in on…and for his wife, Hannah, owner of Eden in the East Village. Des Moines will be a better place if they stay in town…and it is a better place because Carl Voss was re-elected to the city council and because Susan Voss is in town and involved in so much. 

Four collie birds…

…for Toby O’Berry, new head of the Polk County Housing Trust Fund, which does good things…and Jackson Filer, nationwide male athlete of the year for junior colleges…and all those golfers who left Wakonda in the flap over building a new course — and all those who stayed, too…but not for the guys who cut down all those trees…for Dean Anderson of Wells Fargo, who is becoming a reverse commuter.

Three French hens…

…Cornish hens, maybe, for Kathy and Bill Fehrman, whose new Oak Park restaurant on Ingersoll is the talk of the town, or at least the talk of foodies. What’s next? A restaurant called Ingersoll in Oak Park? Just a suggestion…and to Marty Scarpino, whose Embers just down the street from Oak Park is always the best. And to Joe Scarpino, too. And Ken Scarpino…and the people who make those fantastic grilled cheese sandwiches at the Cheese Bar, also on Ingersoll…and, of course, to those guys who make the malts at Classic Custard on East 14th — they’re worth standing in those long lines for.

Two turtle doves…

… for Iowa State photographer Chris Gannon and his pal, Channel 5’s Samantha Mesa…and for Chris’s dad, former Register editor Jim Gannon, too…for oft-injured pickleball player Scott Sailor…for everyone at Cityview, especially Shane and Jolene Goodman…and Connie Wimer, who never slows down…for Zachary and Theo and Chris and Maggie, great grandchildren (but not great-grandchildren).

And a partridge in a pear tree…

…in remembrance of Roseanne Mauro McCargar, loved by a generation of kids and their parents at St. Anthony’s school…federal judge Charles Wolle…Lincoln High principal Al Graziano…former Meredith boss Jack Rehm…fireball Soozie McBroomEmily WeitzDiane LewisKathy Peterson Richards — sportswriter Randy Peterson’s mom…Heart doctor David Gordon…Banker and sports fan Dave MilliganBob Beh, who had a great smile…old-school newspaperman Bill LeonardJay Hubbell, who died too young…and so did editor Beth EslingerJohn Pappajohn, who did so much for this town…Sharon Mahleiro, champion and fighter for gays…Lex Hawkins, who at 97 had outlived his fame as an outstanding lawyer and Democratic strategist of a generation ago, or maybe two…Maddie Maxwell, who loved Drake and who always said what she thought…Phil DorweilerJanet BettsJan GillumRandy Witke, who wrote great headlines…conservative talk-show guy Jan MickelsonJim Marcos of G&L Clothing…Marti Sivi, who brought sunshine to the women prisoners at Mitchellville…Pella’s Ernie VisserTom Stoner

And, always, the first Christopher. ♦

Michael Gartner was born and raised in Des Moines. He is 85 years old. Along the way, he has been a top editor at The Wall Street Journal, editor and president of The Des Moines Register, president of NBC News, and majority owner of the Iowa Cubs. In 1997 he won a Pulitzer Prize for editorial writing while at the Ames Tribune, where he was editor and co-owner.

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Summer Stir - June 2024