Monday, March 27, 2023

Join our email blast

Ask Cityview



Ask CITYVIEW anything by emailing

I really miss going to Fleur Cinema & Cafe; it’s such a unique and fun atmosphere and experience. Do you have any idea when (or if) they will reopen?

When we spoke to representatives from The Fleur last April, they said they were tentatively planning to reopen in the summer. Well, summer came and summer went, and still no Fleur.

Below is the latest statement we received from owner Michael Coppola: “As we have announced previously, we are hosting some special events. As for opening the theater to the public for theatrical releases, we have been working on an agreement to partner with an operator.”

Coppola said they planned to restart those conversations after the holidays.

In the meantime, The Varsity Cinema has reopened its doors after being closed since 2018 and undergoing a $5 million renovation project.

CNA - Stop HIV Iowa (March)

“We wish the best of luck to the Varsity,” Coppola said. “The community needs to embrace this wonderful gem and support them however they can.”

The Fleur opened in 2001 and shut down in the midst of the pandemic.


What is the difference between a regular ID and a REAL ID? Why do I need to switch?

A REAL ID is issued by the Iowa Department of Transportation and designated by a gold star in the upper-right corner of your driver’s license or ID card. More than 1.6 million Iowans already have a REAL ID, or 63% of the Iowa DOT’s customers. REAL IDs are obtained by applying in person, while standard licenses and IDs are often renewable online.

In the future, those who plan to travel by plane will need a REAL ID or another TSA-approved ID, such as a passport, to board domestic flights. You will also need a REAL ID to access federal facilities requiring ID or — as we know our readers often do — enter a nuclear power plant. The requirement was planned to go into effect on May 3 but was recently pushed back two years to May 7, 2025.

If you don’t plan to use your state-issued ID to fly or enter a federal building (or nuclear plant), you have no further action to take. Your standard ID is still sufficient for driving, renting vehicles, purchasing alcohol and tobacco, entering casinos, etc.

To update your ID, you can visit any Iowa driver’s license or ID issuance location in person. It costs $10, unless your license or ID is already due for renewal. Bring physical documents providing the following information:

• Proof of identity (e.g., passport, birth certificate)

• Proof of social security number (e.g., Social Security card, W-2, 1099 form)

• Two documents proving Iowa residency (e.g., utility bill, bank statement, lease agreement)

The federal REAL ID Act was passed by Congress in 2005, with a phased enforcement plan announced in 2013. To learn more about REAL ID requirements, visit the U.S. Department of Homeland Security at To schedule an appointment with the Iowa DOT, visit 

Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *