Greetings, Cultural Catalysts:8/18/2020
The Covid-19 pandemic persists. Be safe. Be considerate. Be compassionate.
– John Busbee for The Culture Buzz
Quote of the Week
“To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive.” -Robert Louis Stevenson, Scottish novelist, poet and travel writer (1850-1894)
Cultural nuggets –
- River City Art and Music, Riverview Artist Salon exhibition at The Equitable Building. “Flora” Botanical Explorations by Greater Des Moines Artists. Curated by Local Artist, Katie Jensen of Des Moines. https://www.facebook.com/events/679472995971791/
- DMACC’s Theatre Department finds ways to share performance passion with audiences. “We’ve released Part One (of Four) of our Summer 2020 production, the world premiere radio play WIlly Beau Dilly by Jayme McGhan,” shares Carl Lindberg, head of the department. There’s info on the web here: https://www.dmacc.edu/theatre/ankeny/Pages/radioplay.aspx, or you can stream it anywhere that you get your podcasts (Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, etc.).
- Iowa Stage Theatre Company has produced an array of content, from interviews to stage play readings and more, keeping those with a desire to stay in touch informed. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZArwGshZ3S9c-VfmNxdoeQ?view_as=subscriber
Beaverdale Books offers curbside service, or delivery service.
Top Ten sellers in our store last month – see what everyone’s reading!
1. How to Be an Antiracist, Ibram X. Kendi
2. White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk about Racism, Robin Diangelo
3. Too Much and Never Enough, Mary L. Trump
4. The Room Where It Happened, John Bolton
5. Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You: A Remix of the National Book Award-Winning Stamped from the Beginning, Jason Reynolds, Ibram X. Kendi
6. Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor, Layla Saad
7. I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness, Austin Channing Brown
8. The Vanishing Half, Brit Bennett
9. The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance, Erik Larson
10. Untamed, Glennon Doyle
Ongoing conversations with Callista Gould always deliver useful information. So much any merging or established professional could use is in her book, which, as she says, is “Best. Graduation Gift. Ever.” The book, The Exceptional Professional: What You Need to Know to Grow Your Career, is the perfect gift for that graduating daughter, son, grandchild, niece, nephew or good friend’s or neighbor’s child who never writes a thank you note. Check out https://cultureandmanners.com/ to get a copy for someone you care about.
PERFORMNG & VISUAL ARTS plus Other Cultural Consideration
Please check in advance regarding any scheduled performances, exhibitions, museum visits, etc.
Ankeny Community Theatre –www.ankenycommunitytheatre.com; Facebook: Ankeny Community Theatre
Carousel Theatre of Indianola –www.carouseltheatre.org; Faceook: Carousel Theatre Indianola
Class Act Productions –www.captheatre.org; Facebook: CAPTheatre
Des Moines Community Playhouse/Kate Goldman Theatre –www.dmplayhouse.com; Facebook: DMPlayhouse
Des Moines Performing Arts/Temple Theater –www.desmoinesperformingarts.org; Facebook: Des Moines Performing Arts
Des Moines Young Artists’ Theatre –www.dmyat.org; Facebook: DM Young Artists Theatre
Iowa Shakespeare Experience –www.iowashakespeare.org; Facebook: Iowa Shakespeare Experience
Iowa Stage Theatre Company –www.iowastage.org; Facebook: Iowa Stage Theatre Company
Pyramid Theatre Company –www.pyramidtheatre.org; Facebook: Pyramid Theatre Company
Tallgrass Theatre Company –www.tallgrasstheatre.org; Facebook: Tallgrass Theatre Company
TheatreMidwest – www.theatremidwest.org; Facebook: TheatreMidwest
Urbandale Community Theatre –www.urbandaletheatre.com; Facebook: Urbandale Community Theatre
AUDITIONS and Cultural Engagement Opportunities:
Check with galleries, organizations, destinations you frequented before the pandemic. Many are producing creative and unique ways to engage again…get your cultural fix.
- Civic Music Association announces its 2020-2021 Season. Check it out. https://civicmusic.org/concerts/
Greater Des Moines Independent Book Store Happenings:
The Culture Buzz shares many authors and their books with its audiences. We encourage you to visit your local independent book store regularly. The folks at these destination locations know books, and welcome the chance to help anyone connect with titles and subjects they seek. Check these sites, as their calendars are always filled with enticing activities and news.
- Beaverdale Books, Des Moines. http://www.beaverdalebooks.com/
- Pageturners Bookstore, Indianola. http://www.pageturnersbookstore.com/
- Artisan Gallery 218, 218-5th Street, Historic Valley Junction, West Des Moines (select author events), http://www.artisangallery218.com/
- Read a Book Nook, Marshalltown. https://read-a-book-nook.business.site/
Cultural Exploration Resources:
The Culture Buzz will begin including carefully vetted but comprehensive listings where you can do some advance online exploration before scheduling destinations in the region. These are two great websites to know about:
- The Culture Buzz – John Busbee and associates have re-launched the website for The Culture Buzz, providing cultural adventurers a comprehensive overview of what The Culture Buzz provides. Included in this new site, by popular demand, is an archive library of favorite interviews and a new section of theatre reviews for Greater Des Moines theatre companies. http://www.TheCultureBuzz.com/
- Center Stage – This Cityview monthly column provides insights into Central Iowa’s theatre. Distributed throughout the region and available online. Current column: http://www.dmcityview.com/center-stage
- Cityview – Central Iowa’s monthly printed and continually updated online resource to all things happening in your community, from arts & culture, to music, to civic and political discourse, to fascinating columnists and stories. Cityview is the reliable source for keeping you informed and engaged in the Greater Des Moines community and beyond. http://www.dmcityview.com/
- Art Beacon Des Moines is Central Iowa’s home for promoting the visual arts. Our calendar of events highlights exhibitions, art talks and calls for art. Subscribe to the Art Beacon Weekly, our online newsletter filled with links to the latest art happenings. Find us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. http://artbeacondesmoines.com/
- A Gentle Guide to Des Moines Theatre is Central Iowa’s source for knowing what productions by which companies are available when. In short, you can know what’s playing before it happens rather than after the fact. Timothy Rose created this site with its comprehensive theatre calendar for you, the cultural consumer. He includes articles and more, making this a worthy destination when curious about what’s happening in Central Iowa’s theatre scene. http://www.gentleguidedsm.com/
- 900Views Podcast. An exploration of arts and community with Host Pat Boddy. Based out of Mainframe Studios in downtown Des Moines, 900Views provides a platform for glimpsing the creative work and lives of the Midwest’s cultural producers and influencers. https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/900views-pat-boddy-RCELj1xc7Wh/
- Greater Des Moines Community Jazz Center is this region’s source for a decades-established advocacy group for jazz, and established jazz professionals guiding and nurturing next generations of jazz musicians and fans. http://dmcommunityjazzcenter.org/
- Central Iowa Blues Society is the area’s connecting point for performance, presentations and education in the world of blues. www.cibs.org
Resources to help, support and guide during any challenges you or someone you care about may be experiencing:
- 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) or email@example.com
United Way 211: Dial 211, text ZIP code to 898211 or visit 211iowa.org
CICIL: #CICILServes COVID-19 Hotline: (866) 44-CICIL
Trans Lifeline: (877) 565-8860
LGBT National Youth Talkline: (800) 246-7743
LGBT National Talkline: (888) 843-4564
Des Moines Pastoral Counseling Center: dmpcc.org
Broadlawns 24/7 Crisis Team: (515) 282-5752
Your Life Iowa Help Line: (855) 581-8111
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
Broadlawns Psychiatric Urgent Care: (515) 282-2200
Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741 to be connected to crisis counseling
Online Mental Health Crisis Chat: iowacrisischat.org
MercyOne Des Moines Behavioral Health Clinic: 515-643-9030.
Prelude Behavioral Services (substance treatment): 515-262-0349
As always, I appreciate news and information from you out there in the cultural trenches and am ready and willing to pursue a story or interview to share with my audiences. ♦