Greetings, Cultural Catalysts:7/15/2020
The Covid-19 pandemic persists. Find ways to culturally and creatively continue explore. Please be safe and wise if you have to venture into public areas. Respect how you can protect others.
– John Busbee for The Culture Buzz
Quote of the Week
“We have art so that we shall not die of reality.”
– Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900) German philosopher, essayist, and cultural critic
Resources to help, support and guide during any challenges you or someone you care about may be experiencing:
NAMI: 1-800-950-NAMI (6264) or firstname.lastname@example.org
United Way 211: Dial 211, text ZIP code to 898211 or visit 211iowa.org
CICIL: #CICILServes COVID-19 Hotline: (866) 44-CICIL
Trans Lifeline: (877) 565-8860
LGBT National Youth Talkline: (800) 246-7743
LGBT National Talkline: (888) 843-4564
Des Moines Pastoral Counseling Center: dmpcc.org
Broadlawns 24/7 Crisis Team: (515) 282-5752
Your Life Iowa Help Line: (855) 581-8111
Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
Broadlawns Psychiatric Urgent Care: (515) 282-2200
Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741 to be connected to crisis counseling
Online Mental Health Crisis Chat: iowacrisischat.org
MercyOne Des Moines Behavioral Health Clinic: 515-643-9030.
Prelude Behavioral Services (substance treatment): 515-262-0349
Cultural nuggets –
- Summer Arts and Science Intensive Virtual Camp July 27-31, 2020. Gateway Dance Theatre is hosting its annual SASI -Summer Arts and Science Intensive Camp- an innovative, fun and creative way how WIND is interpreted through science, poetry, movement, visual arts and more! This year the students will be BLOWN away as they learn about WIND and the many forms it takes and used in our environment. Who: Ages 10 – 20. Where: Zoom virtual. When: July 27-31 Monday-Friday, 11:30AM-12:30PM. break 1:30-2:30PM. Performance: Virtual WIND Showcase Exhibit and performance work in progress. Recording will be available. Friday July 31 1:30-2:30PM. Faculty: We have an excellent faculty, who are excited to be part of this creative process. https://www.gatewaydance.org/
- Terrace Hill has reopened for tours. New procedures have been established in order to offer a safe tour experience for our visitors and tour guides. These policies have been developed in accordance with current health guidelines and best practices. Guided tours will be offered Tuesdays – Saturdays at 10:30 am and 12:30 pm.
-ALL visitors are required to make a reservation for a Terrace Hill tour. All reservations must be made at least 48 hours prior to your tour.
-Reservations can be made only by calling 515-242-5841.
-Each tour time will be limited to no more than 6 guests; all guests must live in the same household. Until further notice, no groups of more than 6 people will be able to tour Terrace Hill (this includes summer camps, school groups, daycare groups, family reunions, etc.)
-It is highly suggested that visitors bring a face mask to wear during the tour.
-Terrace Hill staff members and tour guides who interact with visitors will be required to wear masks.
-A distance of at least 6 feet should be maintained between the tour guide and tour group throughout the tour.
-Any visitor who feels sick must stay home.
-Terrace Hill staff will clean and disinfect tour spaces between every tour time.
- Drive-in Theatre at the Des Moines Playhouse. Countering the pandemic with creative finesses, the Playhouse continues its series of three small-cast performances, one each month this summer (Jul, Aug). The venue will be their parking lot, and space is limited. These eagerly anticipated excursions into live entertainment have proven to be popular – many dates have sold out. Check out the availability, and be able to say that you were a pioneer in Central Iowa’s Drive-in Theatre movement. https://www.dmplayhouse.com/events/live-theatre-drive-in/
- Iowa Stage Theatre Company has produced an array of content, from interviews to stage play readings and more, keeping those with a desire to stay in touch informed. Check it out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZArwGshZ3S9c-VfmNxdoeQ?view_as=subscriber
The Culture Buzz tradition of featuring authors brings a diverse range of subjects to your attention. These authors include local, regional and national authors. Support Beaverdale Books. It is your enticing gateway to a rich assortment of books sure to please your reading pleasure. This indie book store has an incredible offering of Iowa authors and children’s literature – take advantage of their staff’s knowledge and discuss options for the best books for you and your children/grandchildren. Beaverdale Books offers curbside service, or delivery service.
Ongoing conversations with Callista Gould always deliver useful information. So much any merging or established professional could use is in her book, which, as she says, is “Best. Graduation Gift. Ever.” The book, The Exceptional Professional: What You Need to Know to Grow Your Career, is the perfect gift for that graduating daughter, son, grandchild, niece, nephew or good friend’s or neighbor’s child who never writes a thank you note. Check out https://cultureandmanners.com/ to get a copy for someone you care about.
PERFORMNG & VISUAL ARTS plus Other Cultural Consideration
Please check in advance regarding any scheduled performances, exhibitions, museum visits, etc.
Ankeny Community Theatre –
www.ankenycommunitytheatre.com; Facebook: Ankeny Community Theatre
Carousel Theatre of Indianola –
www.carouseltheatre.org; Faceook: Carousel Theatre Indianola
Class Act Productions –
www.captheatre.org; Facebook: CAPTheatre
Des Moines Community Playhouse/Kate Goldman Theatre –
www.dmplayhouse.com; Facebook: DMPlayhouse
Des Moines Performing Arts/Temple Theater –
www.desmoinesperformingarts.org; Facebook: Des Moines Performing Arts
Des Moines Young Artists’ Theatre –
www.dmyat.org; Facebook: DM Young Artists Theatre
Iowa Shakespeare Experience –
www.iowashakespeare.org; Facebook: Iowa Shakespeare Experience
Iowa Stage Theatre Company –
www.iowastage.org; Facebook: Iowa Stage Theatre Company
Pyramid Theatre Company –
www.pyramidtheatre.org; Facebook: Pyramid Theatre Company
Tallgrass Theatre Company –
www.tallgrasstheatre.org; Facebook: Tallgrass Theatre Company
www.theatremidwest.org; Facebook: TheatreMidwest
Urbandale Community Theatre –
www.urbandaletheatre.com; Facebook: Urbandale Community Theatre
AUDITIONS and Cultural Engagement Opportunities:
Check with galleries, organizations, destinations you frequented before the pandemic. Many are producing creative and unique ways to engage again…get your cultural fix.
- Class Act Productions ‘Virtual’ CAmPs 2020. Youth and young adults entering grades 2nd-10th are invited to join us during our weeks of Summer CAmP in 2020! Take center stage and find your light with Class Act Productions. Oh, the places you will go exploring games, dance, activities, projects and design that are specially programmed just for you!
This year we are hosting Virtual Summer CAmPs. Weeklong experiences begin July 13, 20, and 27. See our CAmP information page on our website: http://www.captheatre.org/2020camp/ to learn more on our camps & get registered!
LIVE MUSIC VIRTUALLY – Greater Des Moines Music Tip:
DSMTv – Check out this new source to connect and support regional musicians during this challenging time for them. This link connects you to upcoming performances, podcasts and current information to keep viewers on the cutting edge of developments for Iowa’s music scene. https://www.facebook.com/dsmtvlive/
From HomeDitty: The irrepressible Katie Byers continues to find ways to connect audiences to great music. Discover how she is doing this through her recent blog, and stay connected for future virtual house concerts:
DES MOINES, IA – Civic Music Association is presenting Get Music, Get Happy Hour, a new series informal at-home live concerts. The series will feature live-stream performances by a variety of artists on Friday evenings at 6:00.
CMA PRESENTS: Get Music, Get Happy Hour
6:00 PM Fridays
Viewers can watch the performances on Civic Music’s Facebook page via Facebook Live.
Subsequent performers include violinist Johnny Gandelsman from Brooklyn Rider, piano soloist Aaron Diehl, and others.
Greater Des Moines Independent Book Store Happenings:
The Culture Buzz shares many authors and their books with its audiences. We encourage you to visit your local independent book store regularly. The folks at these destination locations know books, and welcome the chance to help anyone connect with titles and subjects they seek. Check these sites, as their calendars are always filled with enticing activities and news.
- Beaverdale Books, Des Moines. http://www.beaverdalebooks.com/
- Pageturners Bookstore, Indianola. http://www.pageturnersbookstore.com/
- Artisan Gallery 218, 218-5th Street, Historic Valley Junction, West Des Moines (select author events), http://www.artisangallery218.com/
- Read a Book Nook, Marshalltown. https://read-a-book-nook.business.site/
Cultural Exploration Resources:
The Culture Buzz will begin including carefully vetted but comprehensive listings where you can do some advance online exploration before scheduling destinations in the region. These are two great websites to know about:
- The Culture Buzz – John Busbee and associates have re-launched the website for The Culture Buzz, providing cultural adventurers a comprehensive overview of what The Culture Buzz provides. Included in this new site, by popular demand, is an archive library of favorite interviews and a new section of theatre reviews for Greater Des Moines theatre companies. http://www.TheCultureBuzz.com/
- Center Stage – This Cityview monthly column provides insights into Central Iowa’s theatre. Distributed throughout the region and available online. Current column: http://www.dmcityview.com/center-stage
- Cityview – Central Iowa’s monthly printed and continually updated online resource to all things happening in your community, from arts & culture, to music, to civic and political discourse, to fascinating columnists and stories. Cityview is the reliable source for keeping you informed and engaged in the Greater Des Moines community and beyond. http://www.dmcityview.com/
- Art Beacon Des Moines is Central Iowa’s home for promoting the visual arts. Our calendar of events highlights exhibitions, art talks and calls for art. Subscribe to the Art Beacon Weekly, our online newsletter filled with links to the latest art happenings. Find us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. http://artbeacondesmoines.com/
- A Gentle Guide to Des Moines Theatre is Central Iowa’s source for knowing what productions by which companies are available when. In short, you can know what’s playing before it happens rather than after the fact. Timothy Rose created this site with its comprehensive theatre calendar for you, the cultural consumer. He includes articles and more, making this a worthy destination when curious about what’s happening in Central Iowa’s theatre scene. http://www.gentleguidedsm.com/
- 900Views Podcast. An exploration of arts and community with Host Pat Boddy. Based out of Mainframe Studios in downtown Des Moines, 900Views provides a platform for glimpsing the creative work and lives of the Midwest’s cultural producers and influencers. https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/900views-pat-boddy-RCELj1xc7Wh/
- Greater Des Moines Community Jazz Center is this region’s source for a decades-established advocacy group for jazz, and established jazz professionals guiding and nurturing next generations of jazz musicians and fans. http://dmcommunityjazzcenter.org/
- Central Iowa Blues Society is the area’s connecting point for performance, presentations and education in the world of blues. www.cibs.org
As always, I appreciate news and information from you out there in the cultural trenches and am ready and willing to pursue a story or interview to share with my audiences. ♦