Greetings, Cultural Catalysts:9/3/2019
Are you curious about where I find these quotes? Dr. Mardy Grothe is considered the foremost authority on quotations, and offers a weekly newsletter (free, quick read, always great content) and use his online “Dr. Mardy’s Dictionary of Metaphorical Quotations” to search for topic-referenced quotes. The Culture Buzz will be interviewing Mardy soon about his forthcoming book, “Deconstructing Trump.” http://www.drmardy.com/dmdmq/
Featured Cultural Offering
Kunzler Studios opening reception Fri Sep 6. 324 – 5th Street, Historic Valley Junction. Gail Pace’s works will be featured through the month of September. Come meet the artist and experience her award-winning talents in person as the Kunzler Studios continues to deliver exceptional artists to Central Iowa patrons. http://kunzlerstudios.com/
More Cultural Considerations:
- Opening Fri Sep 6 is A Gentleman’s Guide to Love & Murder at the Des Moines Community Playhouse. This award-winning Broadway musical runs through Sep 29. What is a person to do when his claim to the family fortune has nine other heirs preceding him? The breath-taking pace at which the answer to this question unfolds will leave its audiences gasping for breath between all the laughing and cheering. https://www.dmplayhouse.com/events/a-gentlemans-guide-to-love-and-murder
- Delores Huerta, legendary American labor leader, civil rights activist, prominent feminist and Presidential Medal of Freedom recipient, will be in Des Moines Fri Sep 20 as the keynote speaker for the Chrysalis Foundation’s Fundraiser luncheon. Born in 1930 in the mountains of New Mexico, Huerta learned early that women could be a dominant force in the world. She was so moved by witnessing the struggles of migrant families, she committed to a life of activism and an equal partner in founding the American Farm Workers Union with Cesar Chavez. It was Huerta who coined the phrase Si Se Puede!(Yes, We Can!) Details at https://www.chrysalisfdn.org/inspired-event/
A documentary on Dolores, “Delores: Rebel, Activist, Feminist, Mother,” will screen on Sep 11. Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/393082114573535/
- Kitten Bomb Comedy – Off Script: Scenic Route. Sat Sep 14 @ 7:30 PM, Stoner Theatre, Civic Center of Des Moines.
- Polk County Heritage Gallery’s Iowa Exhibited XXXIV, the 34th edition of their celebrated juried art show. Exhibit closes Sep 6, 2019. http://www.polkcountyheritagegallery.org/call-for-entries#iowaexhibitedxxxiv
- Paintpushers & The Des Moines Camera Club, exhibiting at the Ankeny Art Center through Sep 26. http://www.ankenyartcenter.com/exhibits.html
- HomeDitty Concert Series at Salisbury House. Our next concert will be on Sun Sep 15, 2019 with The Well Pennies! Proceeds from the concert will benefit Salisbury House educational and cultural programming.This will be an intimate show plus a meet and greet with the band! Doors open at 6:00 PM; 6:00-7:00 PM Social Hour. 7:00-9:00 PM Show
Where: The Salisbury House Common Room (indoor show), 4025 Tonawanda Drive, Des Moines. $25 per person (purchase through Salisbury House website)
Set Schedule: Two- 45 minute sets + intermission
Beer, wine and soft drinks will be available for purchase at the show. Sorry but no food or drinks from outside will be allowed. Capacity is limited to 90 seats, so get your tickets now before they are gone. Our last show quickly sold out! Ticket sales are open to the public so please feel free to spread the word. https://salisburyhouse.org/event.php?event_id=802_0
7. Kellie Kramer is with Ben Hagen and 4 others. Kelli delivers a no-holds-barred cabaret show, “All Good Men Are Gay,” in the intimate confines of Noce. As Kelli sayd, “Wanna hear a story? I’ve got one to tell. Some talented people are helping me tell it.” Fri Sep 27 at Noce. Come! https://noce.ticketleap.com/all- the-good-men-are-gay-kelli…/
- THE STUDIO DINNER. Hosted within the historic Waterhouse Studio, 4201 Morningstar Drive, Des Moines, Iowa 50313. Featuring four courses paired with wine, as well as the chance to meet new friends from the local Des Moines community. Handcrafted floral decor courtesy of True Vine. Please note: certain dietary restrictions can be accommodated with advance notice. Email us at email@example.com with questions. http://www.aroundthetable.co/rsvp/des-moines-the-studio-dinner
Auditions and other Cultural Engagement Opportunities:
- Auditions for Delusions of Power, Written and Directed by David Dubczak. Carousel Theatre Original! World Premiere! Sep 9 & 10, 7pm at Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Innovations Office, 117 E Salem Ave, Indianola. Performances: Nov 7-10. Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Innovations Office. Thu-Sat, 7pm. Sunday, 2PM.
A popular president faces her first real challenge: a case of accidental hallucinogenic drug use by the vice president while the president is undergoing surgery. Pandemonium breaks out while the White House staff tries to cover for a delusional vice president in the midst of unexpected domestic and international crises. Will the White House cover this up, tell the truth, or do something else? https://www.carouseltheatre.org/delusions-of-power
- More Info:https://www.carouseltheatre.org/delusions-of-power Seedlings Fall Workshops for Kids Ages 8–13 – Registration is Now Open! Visit WDM Parks & Recreation Programs or click on the links below to register. All workshops are $35/child and will be held at the Valley Junction Activity Center (217 5th St). Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Fall classes at Des Moines Community Playhouse. For full listing of the myriad of opportunities available for all ages please visit https://www.dmplayhouse.com/learn-explore/school-year-classes
Greater Des Moines Music Tip:
This weekly tip is brought to you by Steve Vasquez of the Central Iowa Blues Society – www.cibs.org, for full calendar of live music in our region.
Fri Sep 6 @ 9:30pm. Keeshea Pratt Band at Lefty’s Live Music, 2307 University, DSM, $15 ($10 CIBS members)
THE HOUSTON BASED, 2018 INTERNATIONAL BLUES CHALLENGE CHAMPIONS, KEESHEA PRATT BAND POSSESSES THE SKILL AND ARTISTRY REMINISCENT OF BLUES OLD SCHOOL MOTOWN; A RARITY AMONG BANDS OF ANY GENRE TODAY. THE 9 PIECE MUSICAL COLLECTIVE, LENDS ITS ENERGY AND PASSION TO TRADITIONAL BLUES, CONTEMPORARY BLUES AND OFFERS A PREVIEW TO THE FUTURE OF BLUES. THE MUSICAL ARTISTRY AND DEXTERITY OF THE KEESHEA PRATT BAND ALLOWS IT TO JOURNEY UNAPOLOGETICALLY ACROSS THE GENRES OF CLASSICAL, JAZZ, SOUTHERN ROCK, SOUL, GOSPEL, COUNTRY AND BACK AGAIN.
Worth the drive:
“Tallgrass Conversations: In Search of Prairie Fire” Co-author Thomas Dean will discuss how the book came together, read selections from the book, and share photos that accompany the short writings, including images from Grinnell College’s Conard Environmental Research Area. Many thanks to the Center for Prairie Studies at Grinnell College, one of Ice Cube Press’ generous sponsors of the book! https://www.facebook.com/events/952212895128732/
Greater Des Moines Independent Book Store Happenings:
The Culture Buzz shares many authors and their books with its audiences. We encourage you to visit your local independent book store regularly. The folks at these destination locations know books, and welcome the chance to help anyone connect with titles and subjects they seek. Check these sites, as their calendars are always filled with enticing activities and news.
- Beaverdale Books, Des Moines. http://www.beaverdalebooks.com/
- Plot Twist Bookstore, Ankeny. https://www.plottwistbookstore.com/
- Pageturners Bookstore, Indianola. http://www.pageturnersbookstore.com/
- Artisan Gallery 218, 218-5th Street, Historic Valley Junction, West Des Moines (select author events), http://www.artisangallery218.com/
Life Resource News:
This is a new, occasional offering to inform you about noteworthy events, books, resources to enhance your life.
- Callista Gould makes two appearances at the Clive Public Library, 1900-114th Street, Clive, Wed Sep 4 to Talk Table Manners (Registration Required) and Mon Sep 9 for an Author Event to talk about my book, “The Exceptional Professional: What You Need to Know to Grow Your Career.” (No Registration Required) Info: https://www.cityofclive.com/government/library, https://cultureandmanners.com/
- “Health Literacy: The Secret to Being a Power Patient!” Sep 17. A 3-hour seminar hosted by the Mary Greeley Medical Center Foundation, Ames IA, on the fundamentals of being an empowered patient. Learn how to access the information you need to make medical decisions, from choosing a doctor to designing a treatment plan.
For details and to register: “Prime Time Alive” at www.MGMC.org
Cultural Exploration Resources:
The Culture Buzz will begin including carefully vetted but comprehensive listings where you can do some advance online exploration before scheduling destinations in the region. These are two great websites to know about:
- Center Stage – John Busbee writes this Cityview monthly column. See what is happening on Central Iowa’s stages. Distributed throughout the region and available online. Current column: http://www.dmcityview.com/center-stage
- Cityview – Central Iowa’s monthly printed and continually updated online resource to all things happening in your community, from arts & culture, to music, to civic and political discourse, to fascinating columnists and stories. Cityview is the reliable source for keeping you informed and engaged in the Greater Des Moines community and beyond. http://www.dmcityview.com/
- Art Beacon Des Moines is Central Iowa’s home for promoting the visual arts. Our calendar of events highlights exhibitions, art talks and calls for art. Subscribe to the Art Beacon Weekly, our online newsletter filled with links to the latest art happenings. Find us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. http://artbeacondesmoines.com/
- A Gentle Guide to Des Moines Theatre is Central Iowa’s source for knowing what productions by which companies are available when. In short, you can know what’s playing before it happens rather than after the fact. Timothy Rose created this site with its comprehensive theatre calendar for you, the cultural consumer. He includes articles and more, making this a worthy destination when curious about what’s happening in Central Iowa’s theatre scene. http://www.gentleguidedsm.com/
As always, I appreciate news and information from you out there in the cultural trenches and am ready and willing to pursue a story or interview to share with my audiences. ♦