Des Moines Symphony Concludes 2016-2017 Season with Masterworks 7: American Gothic and Bolero5/8/2017
DES MOINES – The Des Moines Symphony concludes its 2016-2017 79th Season with “American Gothic and Bolero” 7:30 p.m. Saturday, May 13 and 2:30 p.m. Sunday, May 14, 2017 at the Des Moines Civic Center (221 Walnut Street, Des Moines).
Virtuoso cellist Matt Haimovitz makes his Des Moines Symphony debut in a program that stretches from Spain to France and all the way back to Iowa. Hear the music of Hindemith, composed to showcase the virtuosity of American orchestras, and Saint-Saëns’s beautiful “First Cello Concerto.” Iowa native Michael Daugherty’s “American Gothic” is accompanied by our world-premiere film celebrating Grant Wood’s Iowa. Finally, our season reaches its zenith with Ravel’s beloved, driving, hypnotic “Bolero.”
Joseph Giunta, conducting
Matt Haimovitz, cello
- Start your concert weekend at ReMix: American Gothic Friday, May 12: craft beer, free Fong’s Pizza, and an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at a Des Moines Symphony rehearsal
- Find out where to park and what to expect in this visitor’s guide
- Concert Prelude Talks begin 45 minutes prior to each Masterworks concert in the Stoner Theater and are open to the public
Single tickets are $15-$65 and are available online through dmsymphony.org (up until two hours prior to performances) and at the Civic Center Ticket Office (515.246.2300, 221 Walnut Street, Des Moines; open 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and two hours prior to performances). Student tickets are $7.50-$32.50 and are available through the Civic Center Ticket Office with valid student ID. Student rush tickets, subject to availability, are $5 for junior high and high school students and $10 for all other students the day of the concert through the Civic Center Ticket Office. Tickets will be available at the door.
2017-2018 Masterworks concerts, 7:30 p.m. Saturdays and 2:30 p.m. Sundays at the Des Moines Civic Center (221 Walnut Street, Des Moines IA, 50309). For complete program details, please use the links below:
- Sep 23 & 24: Masterworks 1: Season Debut – Invitation to the Dance
- Oct 21 & 22: Masterworks 2: Tchaikovky’s Swan Lake
- Nov 19 & 20: Masterworks 3: Ritual Fire Dance
- Feb 10 & 11: Masterworks 4: Stravinsky’s Petrouchka
- March 24 & 25: Masterworks 5: Beethoven 7 – Apotheosis of the Dance
- Apr 28 & 29: Masterworks 6: Beyond the Score – Elgar’s Enigma Variations
- May 19 & 20: Masterworks 7: Season Finale – Rhapsody in Blue
2017-2018 Pops concerts at the Des Moines Civic Center (221 Walnut Street, Des Moines IA, 50309):
- Sat Nov 11: Windborne’s The Music of Queen
- Sun Dec 31: New Year’s Eve Pops: The Classic Hits of Motown
- Sat May 12: Leslie Odom, Jr. in Concert in Collaboration with Des Moines Performing Arts
Visit dmsymphony.org for complete season.