State Fair Trivia8/14/2013
Ever wonder how much toilet paper attendees of the Iowa State Fair go through? How about how much cooking oil is used, beer is consumed and manure is produced from opening day on Aug. 8, to the “extreme Sunday” close-out in this 11-day event? Test your Iowa State Fair knowledge this year in our annual fair edition. Take the quiz and score your answers at the end to see if you earn your Iowa State Fair diploma or if you’re clearly just there for the booze.
1. Where was the first Iowa State Fair held?
A. Des Moines
2. What year was the first time Iowa State Fair attendance topped one-million?
3. What year had the highest attendance ever recorded at the Iowa State Fair?
4. How many exhibitors and concessions operate daily during the Iowa State Fair?
5. Where is the traveling Iowa State Fair carnival from?
6. About how much money does an east-sider make from parking cars each year during the fair?
7. On average, how many cows are milked daily during the Iowa State Fair in the milking parlor?
8. How many breeds of animals are represented in the Paul R. Knapp Animal Learning Center?
9. About how many bales of hay would it take to fill the Paul R. Knapp Animal Learning Center building from top to bottom?
10. Approximately how many food classes are judged annually at the Iowa State Fair?
11. Which of these foods are not served on a stick at the Iowa State Fair?
B. Monkey Tails
12. How many pork chops do Iowa State Fair-goers eat every year?
13. How many places at the Iowa State Fair serve corn dogs?
14. What was the hottest temperature ever recorded at the Iowa State Fair?
A. 113 degrees
B. 110 degrees
C. 108 degrees
D. 105 degrees
15. Which of these U.S. presidents is NOT among the seven known to have visited the Iowa State Fair?
A. Dwight Eisenhower
B. Gerald Ford
C. George W. Bush
D. George H.W. Bush
16. How much toilet paper is used at the Iowa State Fair every year on average?
A. Enough to T.P. every tree in the entire city of Des Moines.
B. Enough to stretch as far as the Mississippi River is long.
C. Enough to span the distance between Des Moines and Los Angeles, Calif.
D. Enough to last one average Iowa household 18 years.
17. By the time it’s all over, the Iowa State Fair goes through an average of 1,600 tons of what?
C. Cooking oil
D. Porta-potty waste
18. Approximately how many slices of toast could you butter from the famous 600-pound Butter Cow?
19. Which of these icons was NOT honored with a butter sculpture in the history of the Iowa State Fair?
A. Floppy the Dog
B. Elvis Presley
C. John Wayne
D. Tiger Woods
20. Which musical act was NOT one of the top five biggest crowd-drawers in the history of the Grandstand?
A. The Beach Boys
B. Johnny Cash
C. The Oak Ridge Boys
D. Bob Dylan
21. Which performer is a member of the “10-timers club,” having performed at the Iowa State Fair 10 times or more?
A. Def Leppard
D. Lynryd Skynyrd
22. Which of these entertainers never graduated from the free stage to the Grandstand?
A. Chuck Wicks
B. Cross Canadian Ragweed
C. Bryan White
D. KC and the Sunshine Band
23. How many officers will the Des Moines Police Department have on patrol at and around the Iowa State Fair this year?
C. About 30
D. No added law enforcement from the city
24. How many people did Des Moines police arrest at the 2012 Iowa State Fair?
25. Which was NOT one of the top three charges filed against arrestees by Iowa State Troopers at last year’s State Fair?
A. Public Intoxication
B. Disorderly Conduct
C. Minor in Possession of Alcohol
D. Operating While Intoxicated